Friday, April 25, 2014

Apple Dumplings Like You've Never Had Before!

Apple Dumplings

Years ago, I stumbled across the most amazing, easy recipe for apple dumplings. These are not your typical pastry ones; those to me, are turnovers, not dumplings.  I must post a warning with these:  They are SWEET. Like, you'll not have sugar cravings for a LONG time after you eat these, but boy, are they worth it!

I make these once a year, for Stephanie's birthday, as per her request.  There is a bit of a story behind this, actually.  As I mentioned, I found this recipe, oh about 10 years ago, and made it a couple of times, changing it up slightly each time until I perfected it.  Fast forward about 5 years (WELL into Google capabilities!), and somehow I had managed to misplace the recipe, right before Stephanie's birthday.  No problem; I could just look it up again on line, or so I thought.

Apparently, there are TONS of apple dumpling recipes out there... NOT ONE of which was the one I was looking for.  I even contacted a guy who claimed he could find "any recipe" at all on line, and even HE couldn't find it.  I remembered the basic ingredients, but not the amounts, or the directions.

That year passed by with no apple dumplings; a sad birthday indeed. Poor Stephanie had to make do with a homemade cake, instead, lol.  About 2 years ago, I renewed my efforts to find the recipe, and was rewarded for all my hard work!  Both Stephanie and I immediately copied the recipe and have it stored in no less than 4 different places, 3 of which are hard copies in our personal recipe books now.  No losing that one again! 

So, after all this, you are probably wondering what the big deal is with these.  Without further ado, I give you our recipe:

In a large pot with a tight fitting lid, place the following:
3 c dark brown sugar
3 c water
4 tbsp. butter

Bring this to a boil, stirring frequently.  While you are waiting for the sauce, mix the dumplings:

2 1/2 c flour
1/2 c white sugar
4 tsp. baking powder
3/4 tsp. salt
1 c milk
4 tbsp. butter
3 tsp. vanilla
1 c finely diced/chopped peeled apple

1)  When the sauce comes to a boil, turn it down to simmer, then drop the above mixture by the spoonful into the sauce, much like you would place dumplings into meat stew.  Cover tightly and simmer for 20 minutes. DO NOT LIFT THE LID!

Serve hot, with UNSWEETENED whipping cream over top.

It is decadent, not diet friendly, and very sweet. But it is SO ridiculously delicious!!!

No comments: