Monday, March 17, 2014

Best Ever Banana Bread

I have spent many years searching for and trying out the perfect banana bread recipe.  I'm not a huge fan of banana bread, actually, but my husband is, so once in a while I break down and make him a couple of loaves, before all the bananas disappear for breakfast shakes!

Most banana bread I've tried is dry, crumbly and quite frankly, tasteless (except for my one aunt, who SMOTHERS her banana bread with pecans; HERS is fantastic!!)  I don't bother with the nuts on mine, mainly because I never remember to buy pecans.  I don't have her recipe, but this one is quite close, and this is the one my husband loves of all the recipes I've tried.

This will make 2 loaves.  I leave one plain, and usually put either chocolate chips or butterscotch chips in the other one.

4 cups flour
1 1/2 c white sugar
1 tsp. baking soda
3/4 tsp. salt
1 tsp. cinnamon

Combine the above ingredients and mix well in a large bowl; set aside.

Then mix:

4 large eggs
1/2 cup melted butter
1/2 cup sour cream (or plain yogurt)
2 tsp. vanilla

To this, add 5-6 coarsely chopped bananas and mix.

Fold the above mixture into the flour mixture just until blended  Pour approximately 1/2 the batter into one prepared pan.  To the remaining batter add your chocolate or butterscotch chips, if desired.  Pour into second loaf pan.

Sprinkle both loaves generously with dark brown sugar.  Bake at 350 degrees for about 40-47 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean

Cool for about 20 minutes, then remove to a baking rack 'til completely cooled,.

No comments: