Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Flat-as-a-pancake buttermilk pancakes

Flat-as-a-pancake buttermilk pancakes
 
I've never understood the reason for going out for pancakes (unless it's a Church fundraiser, because those are just awesome and fun).  Boxed pancake mixes are really, really AWFUL, and it is SO easy to make your own at home!  I've even mixed up the dry ingredients and taken some to cook while camping, just adding the milk and eggs there. Once you try this recipe, you'll see what I'm talking about.  This is the recipe I've used for years, that every kid who has ever slept over at our house on a weekend has eaten at least once!  I've had requests for these pancakes from my kids' friends before they've come over, and requests from the parents for the recipe!   (NOTE:  This is the original amount, which will make enough for 2-3 people.  I triple this recipe for a family of 8!)
 
As a little bonus, I am also including my pancake syrup recipe at the end. It's actually funny; I've made homemade syrup for years, but just this past Christmas someone gave me a bottle of store bought syrup. I was very grateful for this, and I thought it would be a nice treat for the kids. They tasted it, and immediately asked for the homemade one.  Apparently the store bought one "tasted too much like candy"! 
 
 
Easy and Light Pancakes
Ingredients:
 
1 ½ c flour
2 eggs
1 ½ tsp. baking powder
½ tsp. salt                      
1 tbsp. sugar
1 c milk
1 c butter milk
¼ c melted butter
 
Directions:
 1.     Beat all together for two minutes, pour by ¼ c full onto hot griddle.
 
Easy homemade syrup:
2 cups sugar (1 white and 1 brown, or just 2 cups brown, which makes it a little richer tasting)
1 c water
1 tsp. maple flavoring (vanilla is fine, too)
 
 1.       Place sugar in medium sized saucepan, add water
 2.       Simmer over low WITHOUT stirring until sugar is dissolved, about 5 minutes.
 3.       Begin stirring, turn heat up to medium, stir constantly to bring syrup to a boil.
 4.       KEEP STIRRING, let come to a full rolling boil for 3 minutes.  Skim off any foam that forms
 5.       Remove from heat, add 1 tsp. vanilla or maple flavoring if desired.
 6.       Keep in sealable container, store out of fridge. (it will crystalize if you keep it in the fridge)


No comments: